Friday, 31 December 2021
Year-End- Review-2021- Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Year-End- Review-2021- Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare
- JEEVAN PRAMAAN (Digital Life Certificate) related reforms
- In November 2014, an online system for submission of life certificate “Jeevan Pramaan” was launched by the Hon'ble Prime Minister.
- Through Jeevan Pramaan, a pensioner can give an online Life Certificate, anytime and from anywhere, by attaching a biometric device to his PC/Mobile or using services of a Common Service Centre (CSC) or any nearest bank branch.
- DoPPW roped in the India Posts and Payment Bank (IPPB) under the Department of Posts for Digital Life Certificate. The IPPB is now fulfilling the major initiative of DoPPW, viz. DLC from Home by roping in 1,89,000 Postmen & Gramin Dak Sevaks. Approximately 2,99,816 Central Government Pensioners have already availed this facility till now.
- DoPPW also roped in an Alliance comprising 12 Public Sector Banks which does “Doorstep Banking” for its customers in 100 major cities of the country under Ease of banking reforms for including the collection of Life Certificate also under this service.
- As on date total number of DLCs submitted by the Central Government Pensioners is around 1,06,51,196 /- since 2014. In 2021 total DLCs submitted till date is 19, 45,013.
- DoPPW has advised all the Pension Disbursing Banks to adopt the Video based Customer Identification Process (V-CIP) as an additional facility for obtaining a Life Certificate from the pensioners, within permissible RBI guide-lines. Most major Banks Pension Disbursing Banks have implemented it in this year.
- To further ensuring ease of living for all the Pensioners/Family Pensioners, the Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare has engaged with NIC, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) and UIDAI to develop a face-authentication technology-based system based on UIDAI Aadhaar software for submission of digital life certificate by the Pensioners/Family Pensioners. As per this facility, the identity of a person will be established through face authentication technique and it is possible to submit Life Certificate from any Android based smart phone. The Hon’ble MoS (PP) launched this facility on 29.11.2021. The DLC through face authentication technique is a breakthrough technology which will reduce Pensioners’ dependence on external bio-metric devices and make the process more accessible and affordable thus ensuring ease of living for all the Pensioners/Family Pensioners.
- Review and Rationalisation of Pension Rules - Release of Book on Central Civil Services (CCS) (Pension) Rules, 2021
- The pension, family pension and gratuity in respect of Civil Government servants appointed before 1.1.2004 are regulated by the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules.
- The earlier Pension Rules were notified 50 years ago in 1972. Since then, a large number of amendments to the CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972 have taken place.
- Several Office Memoranda, etc. have also been issued from time to time, interpreting and clarifying different provisions of these Rules. Since such instructions and clarifications did not form part of the statutory rules, there was a need to incorporate them in the Rules itself to bring about uniformity in their implementation by Ministries/Departments.
- The Sectoral Group of Secretaries-9 (SGoS-9) included the task of review and rationalisation of the Pension Rules in the strategic initiatives to be undertaken by Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare. These strategic initiatives are being monitored by the Cabinet Secretariat/PMO. Accordingly, the Department has brought out a revised and updated version of the Rules i.e. Civil Services (CCS) (Pension) Rules, 2021.
- The Department has developed ‘Bhavishya’, an online pension sanctioning and tracking system. This system has brought about speed, accuracy and accountability in processing of the pension cases. One of the notable features of the new Rules is that they make processing of pension cases through Bhavishya mandatory.
- Other important policy and procedural improvements made in the CCS(Pension) Rules, 2021 over CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972 are as under:
- Increment earned during leave, though not actually drawn, will count as emoluments for pension/ family pension /gratuity, irrespective of the duration and kind of leave.
- Benefit of retrospective notional increase in pay after retirement (on account of court orders, Review DPCs, etc.) will be available for pension/ gratuity.
- A time limit of three months has been fixed for deciding on the question of grant of compassionate allowance, on imposition of penalty of dismissal/removal. Decision on compassionate allowance in past cases of dismissal/removal will also have to be taken within 6 months.
- The provision for voluntary retirement after thirty years of qualifying service has been omitted, being redundant.
- Request for withdrawal of notice for voluntary retirement will have to be made at least 15 days before intended date of retirement, so as to give sufficient time to competent authority to take a decision on the request.
- Provision has been made for payment of interest and fixing of responsibility in case of delayed payment of pension/family pension/gratuity.
- A Government servant deputed to UN Bodies, etc. will have option to pay or not to pay pension contributions. Service will be counted for pension and gratuity only if contributions are paid.
- Children/ siblings suffering from a disability will be considered dependent on the Government servant/pensioner and shall accordingly be eligible for family pension, if their income is less than the entitled family pension plus dearness relief.
- A divorced daughter, in whose case a decree of divorce was issued after the death of her parents, will be eligible for family pension if the divorce petition was filed before death of the parents.
- In cases where a Government servant dies during the currency of a penalty which has the effect of reducing his pay only during the currency of that penalty, family pension will be calculated based on notional pay ignoring the effect of such penalty.
- If a person (e.g. Spouse) eligible to receive family pension is charged with offence of murdering Government servant /pensioner, family pension shall not be paid to that person till the conclusion of the criminal proceedings but shall be paid to other eligible member of the family (e.g. Child).
- On death of a Government servant during service, the family members will not be required to pay any outstanding licence fee as also licence fee for a period of next three months, in respect of the Government accommodation.
- It will be mandatory to process pension cases through ‘Bhavishya’, an online pension sanctioning and tracking system.
- Timelines for processing of pension/family pension cases by HOO and PAO have been streamlined/ rationalised to ensure expeditious issue of PPO on retirement/death of Government servant.
- The roles of CPAO and Pension Disbursing Authorities/Banks in the pension sanction/ payment process have been indicated in the rules and timelines for them have been provided.
- In case a Government servant is not able to fill up forms due to any physical or mental infirmity or the Government servant dies after retirement but before filing pension papers, spouse/family member of the family will be allowed to submit pension papers.
- Provisional family pension will be sanctioned immediately on submission of claim for family pension along with death certificate without waiting for forwarding of pension case to the PAO.
- Detailed provisions have been included in the rules for sanction and payment of family pension and other benefits to the family of a Government servant/ pensioner who goes missing.
- So far, the Ministries/Departments were dependent on the Swamy’s Publications for referring to the Rules notified by the Government. For the first time, the Department has brought out its own Booklet on the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021.
3. Bhavishya (an online tracking system for pension sanction and payment developed by DOPPW) related reforms
- The ‘Bhavishya’ platform, an integrated online pension processing system was made mandatory for all central government departments w.e.f. 01.01.2017.
- This system is at present being successfully implemented in the main Secretariat of 96 Ministries/ Departments including 812 Attached Offices. As on date at total number of 1,34,856 cases have been processed ie. PPOs issued which includes more than 55,000 ePPOs.
- The ‘Bhavishya’ system has now been made available on a Mobile App, thereby making it simples especially for those Para Military Forces who are out in the fields to keep track of their pension cases.
- Bhavishya 8.0 was released in August, 2020 with this new feature to PUSH the ePPO in Digilocker. Bhavishya’ is the first application to use the Digilocker Id based PUSH Technology of Digilocker.
- Bhavishya provides an option to retiring employees for linking their Digilocker account with “Bhavishya” to get e-PPO. This initiative has created a permanent record safe from destruction of pensioners’s PPO in Digilocker and eliminates delays in forwarding PPO to new Pensioners, as well as the necessity of handing over a physical copy.
- Achievements regarding Enabling Divyangs
- A child suffering from a disability was earlier eligible for family pension only if his/her income, from sources other than family pension, was less than the minimum family pension (i.e. Rs. 9000/- p.m.) and the dearness relief admissible thereon. This was causing hardship to children suffering from a disability. Keeping in view special needs of a child suffering from a disability, orders were issued on 8.2.2021 that the child of a deceased Government servant/pensioner, suffering from a mental or physical disability, shall be eligible for family pension for life, if his/her overall income from sources other than family pension is less than the entitled family pension at ordinary rate and the dearness relief admissible thereon, payable on death of the Government servant/pensioner concerned. This provision has also been incorporated in the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021.
- If an employee suffered a disability due to an injury or disease in the performance of duty and is retained in Government service in spite of such disablement, a lump sum compensation is paid to him in lieu of the disability element of the disability pension. This benefit was, however, not available to NPS employees. Orders have been issued vide O.M. 1.1.2021 to extend the benefit of lump sum compensation to the NPS employees also, if they suffer a disability in the performance of duty and are retained in Government service in spite of such disablement.
5. CPENGRAMS (Centralised Pension Grievance Redress And Monitoring System) related achievements:
- An Integrated Grievance Cell & Call Centre was inaugurated on 20th June, 2019 for pensioners so that they could register their grievances by calling on the toll-free number 1800-11-1960.
- This Department has issued an advisory to all Ministries/Departments to put an accountability mechanism in place and make the concerned answerable for summarily disposing of grievances without proper qualitative action vide OM dt. 6.08.2021. Detailed guidelines in this regard have been re-emphasised vide OM dt 6.08.2021.
- From January 2021 till December 2021, 7 VC meetings have been held with around 35 departments regarding long pending grievances. The year-wise Status of long pending grievance is as under:
6. Digital Pension Adalat related reforms
- The first Pension Adalat of the Department was held on September 20, 2017. Out of 29 grievances raised in Adalat, 26 were resolved.
- The 2nd Pension Adalat on February 9, 2018. Out of 34 grievances raised in Adalat, 30 were resolved.
- All India Pension Adalat – 2018: An All-India Pension Adalat on September 18, 2018, wherein Pension Adalats were conducted across Ministries/ Departments throughout the country including all the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) as well as non-Civil Ministries viz. Defence, Railways, Telecom and Posts. The Chief Secretaries of States were also asked to conduct Adalats for the All-India Service Pensioners who fall within the jurisdiction of this Ministry. From the reports received, 12,849 cases were taken up for redressal in these Pension Adalats. 9,368 (73%) grievances relating to Central Govt. Ministries/Departments/ Organizations were resolved. In addition to this, States/UTs, also conducted Pension Adalat for All India Service retired officers, during which 1614 grievances were settled on the same day. This was one of the largest Pensioner Grievance resolution exercises ever undertaken in the country.
- All India Pension Adalat was organized on 23.08.2019 by DoPPW by roping in various Ministries and Departments all over the country. Around 4,000 Pensioners’ cases were resolved in a single day.
The Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare conducted a regional Pension Adalat for the first time, outside Delhi, at Jammu on February 29, 2020. Out of 342 shortlisted cases, pertaining to Central government pensioners of various departments, including the CAPFs, 320 cases were settled as per extant rules.
- First ever on-line All India Pension Adalat held in December 2020/January 2021 by leveraging technology through Video Conferencing. Out of 3643 cases taken up, 2540 cases were resolved on the spot by the different Ministries/Departments which participated in this initiative.
- Achievements relating to Procedural Reforms :
- In order to ensure timely payment of retirement dues in all cases, instructions have been issued on 09.03.2021 for strictly adhering to the timelines prescribed under the CCS (Pension) Rules, for processing of pension cases and for handing over the copy of PPO to the pensioner at the time of retirement along with other retirement dues.
- Further instructions have been issued on 03.06.2021 for taking simultaneous action on priority basis for disbursement of regular family pension through the Bank, for payment of other entitlements of the family on death of the Government servant and for ensuring that the PPO for family pension is issued and disbursement of regular family pension is commenced by the Bank not later than one month of the receipt of the claim for family pension.
- Instructions have been issued on 16.06.2021 bringing out the documents/ details which are required to be submitted to the Bank by the spouse/family member, whose name is included in the PPO issued to the deceased pensioner. CMDs/CPPCs of the Pension Disbursing Banks have been advised to obtain only the minimum essential details/documents from the applicants for family pension and to ensure that they are not subjected to any harassment by seeking unnecessary details and documents such as details of family members (other than the Applicant) which are not relevant for commencement of family pension by the bank.
- National Pension System (NPS)
- The National Pension System (NPS), a Contribution based Pension Scheme, was introduced through a notification dated 22.12.2003 of Department of Economic Affairs. Government servants joining on or after 1.1.2004 are mandatorily covered by the new Scheme. However, the rules relating to service matters of NPS employees were not in place. Based on the recommendations of a Committee under the Chairmanship of Secretary Pension, the CCS (Implementation of National Pension System) Rules, 2021 have been notified on 30.3.2021. These rules provide for the procedure and timelines for registration of employees under NPS, rates of contribution, payment of interest on delayed credit of contributions, action on retirement/exit of employees, action in disciplinary cases, option for applicability of Old Pension Scheme in case of death or disability, etc.
- DoPPW has notified Central Civil Services (Payment of gratuity under NPS) Rules, 2021 to regulate retirement gratuity and death gratuity to Central Government employees covered under NPS on 24.09.2021.
Retiring Greetings and Best wishes to Com. R. N. Parashar, General Secretary, P3 and Secretary General, NFPE
Com. R. N. Parashar, General Secretary P3 and Secretary General, NFPE is going to retire today. Born in Village – Jadaunpur, Distt – Mathura (UP) in a middle class Farmer Family he completed Primary, Education – 1 to 5th in village and then High School and Intermediate from U. P. Board Allahabad scoring 1st class and distinction marks. Graduation from Agra University Agra.
He got Job in Department of Posts in the year 1981 in Mathura Division (UP) when studying in LLB but could not complete.
Got some others in Railway and other Department but did not leave service of Post office.
Joined union just after joining service in February 1982 after completion of both types of training started taking active part in all union activities since beginning. Attended 1st All India Conference of AIPEU Group ‘C’ held at Devengere (Karnataka) in the year 1983 alone from Mathura Division which was very appreciated by Legendary leader and the then Secretary General Com. K Adinaryana.
In the year 1985 he became Divisional Secretary of Mathura Division. In the year 1987 organized Circle Conference of U. P. Circle at Vrindavan and elected as Asst. Circle Secretary and after that became vice President and then President of Circle Union up to 2017.
In 1997 at AIC of AIPEU Group ‘C’ at Vrindavan, Mathura he got elected as Vice President CHQ. In 1999, in Patna AIC became Organizing Secretary.
In 2004 in Golden Jubilee Federal Council got elected as Secretary, NFPE by the blessings of Coms. K. Adinaryana, R. L., Bhattacharjee, Nani Banerjee, C. C. Pillai, Des Raj Sharma, M. Krishnan, S. S. Roy, Tapan Das Gupta, Chandra Gupta, M. L. Shukla and T. P. Mishra and continued up to 2014.
Worked in NFPE HQ in 2004 and continuously from 2010 to 2021 (December) up to retirement. Elected Secretary General in Federal Council of NFPE held at Ongole (Prakasam) A. P. in August 2014 after retirement of Com. M. Krishnan Secretary General NFPE.
Elected as General Secretary of AIPEU Group ‘C’ held at Lucknow in June 2015 and continued up to December 2021 (up to retirement). Elected Secretary General Confederation of Central Govt. Employees and workers in the National Council of Confederation held at Nagpur in February 2020.
Elected as Member, National Council JCM and Standing Committee Member of NC JCM in the year 2016 and still continuing.
Remained President of C-O-C U. P. State Confederation of C. G. E & W from 2015 to 2021.
He served for our organization nearly for 4 decades. In this corona episode, staying in Delhi alone he tried at his level best for the employees, as well as NFPE / Confederation. At the moment of his retirement, we express our sincere thanks and Red Salute to Com. R. N. Parashar, for his extraordinary service. We wish his happy and prosperous retired life. At the same time, we have firm belief that the Central Govt. employees will receive his assistance and guidance as before. Under our senior leadership including Com. R. N. Parashar we will work together.
Wednesday, 29 December 2021
YEAR END REVIEW-2021: DEPARTMENT OF POSTS
Ministry of Communications
YEAR END REVIEW-2021: DEPARTMENT OF POSTS
Postman Mobile App implemented in 1.43 lakh POs including 98,454 Post Offices in rural areas
Election Commission of India ties up with Department of Posts for delivery of Electors Photo Identity Card through Speed Post across the country
Postal Department installs Global Positioning System (GPS) in approx. 1263 operational Mail Motor Services (MMS) vehicles across the country
Enters into multilateral agreement with 120 countries to enable faster customs clearance of Postal items
Postal Department facilitates clearance, processing and delivery of COVID related emergency shipments received through post from abroad during 2nd COVID wave
1.67 crore new accounts opened; Approx. Rs. 8.19 lakh crore volume of transactions handled in CBS (Core Banking Service) POs
2.26 Crore Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts opened by the Department of Posts, till October, 2021 since introduction of the scheme; Approx. 86% of total SSA accounts in the country are through Post Offices only
Over 12 lakh applications processed through Post Office Passport Seva Kendras from January, 2021 to October, 2021
More than 1.49 Crore requests for aadhaar enrollments / updations processed by 13,352 Post Office Aadhaar Centres from January, 2021 to October, 2021
1789 Branch Post Offices opened in 90 identified Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected districts in country; 3114 new Branch Post Offices (BOs) to be made functional by March, 2021
For more than 150 years, the Department of Posts (DoP) has been the backbone of the country’s communication and has played a crucial role in the country’s social economic development. It touches the lives of Indian citizens in many ways: delivering mails, accepting deposits under Small Savings Schemes, providing life insurance cover under Postal Life Insurance (PLI) and Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI) and providing retail services like bill collection, sale of forms, etc. The DoP also acts as an agent for Government of India in discharging other services for citizens such as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) wage disbursement and old age pension payments. The Year End Review for Department of Posts highlights the achievements, and progress on various initiatives of department in the year 2021.
- Supply Chain and e-Commerce: Mail, Express Services and Parcel:
- Real time updation of delivery: Postman Mobile App implemented in 1.43 lakh POs including 98,454 Post Offices in rural areas. Real time delivery status of 47.5 crore from January-October, 2021 Speed Post and registered articles done through the Postman Mobile App.
- 98% letter box is attached with Departmental Post Offices have been covered under electronic clearance through Mobile App named “Nanyatha”.
- A flagship product of Department of Posts “Speed Post” marked are venue of Rs. 1413.34 crores for handling of traffic of 34.97 Crores during the period of January 2021 to October2021.
- Department is the sole delivery partner of UIDAI since it since option. DoP so far been delivered 166.73 crore Aadhaar cards through ordinary posts and 1.56 crores Aadhaar PVC cards through Speed Post from Jan 2013 to Nov 2021.
- Department of Post shas entered into a tie up with LIC of India for providing complete print to post solution for printing and delivery of policy bonds issued by LIC where in more than 2 crore Policy Bonds are expected to be printed, posted and delivered in a year through Speed Post, generating are venue of more than Rs.100 crores per annum.
- Department of Posts has entered into tie up with Election Commission of India (ECI) for delivery of Elect or Photo Identity Cards (EPICs) through Speed Post. In the initial phase, ECI would provide 6-7 Crore EPICs for delivery through Speed Post, generating are venue of around Rs. 100 in a year.
- Department of Posts has installed Global Positioning System (GPS) in approx. 1263 operational Mail Motor Services (MMS) vehicles across the country and also implemented PS based online tracking system for all the MMS operative vehicles in all Postal Circles with 24X7 control rooms.
- 17 additional new MMS vehicles have been purchased for Jammu & Kashmir Postal circle to improve inter-state connectivity.
- 75 new vehicles have been replaced against condemned vehicles in various Circles during the current FY 2021-22.
- A multilateral agreement for the exchange of electronic advanced data (EAD) has been entered into with more than 120 countries. This agreement shall enable transmission of electronic customs data of International Postal items before their physical arrival at the destination country. It shall also enable faster customs clearance of Postal items.
- PRIME United States Postal Services (USPS) tracked service agreement is signed between India Post and USPS. It will meet the customers demand for a cost-efficient and track-able service. It will help in increasing the mail volume and revenue of India post.
- In order to simplify and ease the customs clearance of International articles, automated Postal Bill of Export (PBE) Software is being developed by DoP. The first version of automated (PBE) software is developed and it is under production environment. It will ease the process of commercial export through Postal Channel by enabling customs clearance in digital mode. After implementation of this software the booking of commercial exports will not remain limited to notified locations.
- International Business Center (IBC) Surat was inaugurated by Minister of State for Communications on 03.11.21. It will provide a much-needed platform in the region to boost commercial export and will fulfill the demands of exporters.
- During the 2nd wave of COVID-19, Department of Posts in collaboration with Customs authorities, facilitated clearance, processing and delivery of COVID related emergency shipments received through post from abroad e. g. oxygen concentrators, equipment, medicines etc. In order to further facilitate the clearance and faster delivery of such shipments a COVID helpdesk was established at Dak Bhawan and all Offices of Exchange.
- Banking Services and Financial Inclusion:
- Digital Financial empowerment of the public at large: DOP serves more than 29.29 crore Active POSB accounts through 1.56 lakh post offices across length & breadth of the country and have an outstanding balance of Rs. 12,56,073 crore under Post Office Savings Bank (POSB) Schemes. Overall, 1.67 crore new accounts opened and Rs. 4.71 lakh crore Deposits, Rs. 3.48 lakh crore withdrawal made thereby approx. Rs. 8.19 lakh crore volume of transactions handled in CBS (Core Banking Service) POs. As a result, Net addition of 51.45 lakh accounts and Net deposits of Rs. 1,22,851 crore have been done in CBS POs since April, 2021.The Post Office CBS system is the largest network in the world with 24,971 Offices already on this network. Further 1,29,219 Branch Post Offices have been also enabled to access the network on real time basis. The CBS has enabled the DOP in providing 24x7 services through ATMs, Internet & Mobile Banking.
- Financial Empowerment of Rural Populace: All the 9 Small Savings Schemes of MoF are available in 1.56 lakh Post Offices. 5 Schemes, namely, Monthly Income Scheme, Senior Citizens Savings Scheme, Public Provident Fund, National Savings Certificate & Kisan Vikas Patra have been introduced in Bos (Branch Post Offices). People living in rural India will not be required to come to town & cities to do any Post Office Savings Bank (POSB) transaction. The same will be available at their doorstep through local Branch Post Offices.
- Economic Empowerment of Girl Child: Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA) scheme is also known as girl child prosperity scheme and was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Ji on 22nd January, 2015 in Panipat, Haryana. SSA scheme ensures a bright future for girl children. This scheme has facilitated them in proper education, marriage expenses and securing their future. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened in any post office. A total of 2.26 Crore Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts have been opened with deposits amounting to Rs. 80,509.29 Crore, by the Department of Posts, till October, 2021 since introduction of the scheme. Approx. 86% of the total SSA accounts in the country are through Post Offices only.
- Insurance and Pension coverage of masses at reasonable rates: The PM Jan Suraksha Schemes, namely, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), Pradhan Mantri Jeewan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) & Atal Pension Yojana (APY) were launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister in May, 2015. The DOP has been playing an active role under these Government of India flagship schemes and had made 3.47 Lakh Atal Pension Yojana (APY), 7.54 Lakh Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) (including annual auto renewals) and 1.38 crore Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) (including annual auto renewals) enrolments so far.
3. Postal Life Insurance (PLI)/Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI):
- A provision has been introduced for claimant to file an appeal against rejection of death claim cases in PLI/RPLI.
- “Sankalan” e-compendium comprising Post Office Life Insurance Rules 2011, various Standard Operating Procedures, Forms etc. was released on occasion of PLI Day i.e., 01.02.2021 for ease of officials working at various offices as well as for the use of customers and is also available on website.
- Rule 61 of POLI Rules, 2011 has been amended wherein the restriction of two (2) years for settlement of claim on death due to suicide has been reduced to one (1) year, at par with insurance industry practice.
- Business Performance of PLI and RPLI: As on 31.10.2021, there were a total of 100.51 lakh active PLI and RPLI policies with an aggregate sum assured of Rs. 2.32 lakh crores.
- Investment Functions of PLI and RPLI Fund: The total corpus of PLI/RPLI fund has reached Rs. 1.27 lakh crores upto 31.10.2021.
- Bima Gram Yojana : From January 2021 to October 2021, 6,657 villages brought under the coverage of Bima Gram Yojana (BGY). Each Bima Gram Yojana village has at least 100 households covered by one RPLI policy.
- Customer can procure Postal Life Insurance policies online without visiting Post Office. To facilitate multiple payment option of PLI premium and disbursement like Maturity/ Surrender/ Survival/ Death / loan, a close integration with Post Office Savings Bank (POSB) has been done, wherein policy holders can use Standing Instructions (SI), POSB eBanking, mobile banking facility and also use Post Office ATM facilities. Multiple payment gateways have also introduced in the system for online premium payment.
- PLI/RPLI Policy bonds in digital format are now available to policy holders through DigiLocker.
4. Citizen Centric Services:
- Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (PoPSK): With the growing need of citizens for a passport, Ministry of External Affairs and Department of Posts have mutually agreed for setting up Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (PoPSKs) in post offices to utilise the reach and infrastructure of Post Offices for delivering passport services. 428 PoPSKs have been made operational till date, of which 02 PoPSKs have been opened in 2021 namely (i) Dombivali, Maharashtra and (ii) Ekma, Bihar. 12,01,360 applications have been processed through PoPSKs from January, 2021 to October, 2021.
- Aadhar Enrolment and Updation Centres: The facility has brought convenience to the citizens by way of generating new Aadhaar and updating their Aadhaar cards in case of any change/mis-match. More than 42,000 Postal Officials/MTS/GDS have been trained/certified to perform Aadhaar operations. The Aadhaar Enrolments are done free of cost. 13,352 Post Office Aadhaar Centres have been set up across the country. 1,49,50,803 requests for enrollments / updations have been processed by these Centres from January, 2021 to October, 2021.
- Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT): More than 3.29 crores transactions were performed involving an amount of Rs. 3607 crores for a period from January, 2021 to October, 2021. Disbursed benefits of more than 275 schemes of different Ministries to beneficiaries including those in remote and rural areas.
- Digital Inclusion: 1,29,252 Branch Post offices are using SIM based handheld Point of Sale (POS) devices.
Digital Advancement of Rural Post Offices for a New India (DARPAN): Carried out 12.87
crores online Postal and financial transactions involving an amount of Rs.19,402/- crores for a period from January, 2021 to October, 2021 through 1,29,252lakh Branch Post Offices in the rural areas of the country. More than 1.95 crores transactions per month are taking place through DARPAN devices.
- PO-CSC (Post Office-Common Service Centres): A convergence of Post Offices and Common Service Centres for effective delivery of various citizen centric services is a part of the five-year Vision Document (2019-24) of the Department of Posts. Accordingly, 91867 Post offices are now providing CSC services through Digital Sewa Portal of CSC.
- Launched on 04.05.2020 in 22 Pilot Post Offices selected from 11 Circles.
- Expanded to 91867 offices by Oct 2021.
- MoA Signed between DoP and CSC-SPV on 15.12.2020
- More than 49669 Operators trained
- 100+ CSC Services are offered through these POs which include G2C and B2C Services.
- Since its inception, as on 31.10.2021, 7.37 Lakh transactions worth ₹59.9 Crores were delivered through 91867 PO-CSCs
- Some of Government to Citizen Schemes Promoted by CSC are:
- Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors’ Atma Nirbhar Nidhi Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (Ayushman Bharat)
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan Yojana (PM-SYM)
- Pradhan Mantri Laghu Vyapari Maan-dhan Yojana (PM-LVM)
- The Election Card Printing
- Various e-District Services
- Some of B2C (Business to Citizens) Services offered are
- Bharat Bill Payment System Bills (Electric, Gas, Water bills etc...)
- Renewal Premium collection for Life Insurance Policies and General Insurance such as Motor Vehicle,etc
- Third party services such as EMI collections for various loans offered by financial institutions and submission of online application forms for loans.
- Travel services such as Ticket booking service is available for Flight, Train and Bus Tickets
- Opening of new Branch Post Offices (BOs) in 90 identified Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected districts in the country: In pursuance of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) Note for Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), a proposal for opening of 4903 new Branch Post Offices (BOs) in 90 identified LWE districts in the country was under taken. In the first phase, 1789 Branch Post Offices have been opened, so far. Recently, Ministry of Finance (MoF) has approved the proposal for opening of remaining 3114 BOs in 90 LWE districts. In this context, 3114 Gramin Dak Sewaks –Branch Postmaster & Assistant Branch Postmaster posts have already been sanctioned to all concerned circles viz, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Telangana & Uttar Pradesh respectively for opening of remaining 3114 BOs in 90 LWE districts. All concerned circles have already been intimated to make 3114 BOs functional by the end of the March.
5. Public Grievances:
- Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS): Revamping of Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) was done by mapping over 1.5 lakh Post Offices till the level of Branch Post Offices byintuitive navigation of complaints to the line-end offices for faster resolution of grievances. Department of Posts was the first Department to revamp CPGRAMS in collaboration with Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances. This version not only saves time of resolution but also reduces human intervention by bypassing infructuous levels. The option of remedy of Appeals against resolution was provided to the complainants on CPGRAMS in Jan 2021. The details of the grievances handled in 2021 upto 15.11.2021 areas under:-
Complaints received during the period including
Complaints settled during the period
% of settlement of settle ment
Average disposal time (days)
- Social Media Cell: Social Media Cell is an independent entity and deals with the Twitter, Facebook & Instagram accounts of the Department of Posts. Social media team has been strengthened and its working hours extended from 8 hours a day to 16 hours a day. Consequently, the overall average first response time was brought down to 1 hr 35 minutes from over 4 hours. The details of the complaints handled in 2021 upto15.11.2021 areas under:-
received during the period
settled during the period
% of settlement
- India Post Call Centre (IPCC): The Department rolled out India Post Call Centre (IPCC) on 01.06.2018 in Varanasi. The facility of Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) in IPCC is available for customers 24*7*365. Presently, IPCC is working in eleven languages mapped with geographical locations of the customers. 1.46 crore calls have been serviced in IPCC since its inception. Postal Life Insurance/Rural Postal Life Insurance and Financial Services facilities have been integrated in IPCC which enables IPCC to disseminate the citizens’ centric information to the citizens.
- Implementation of Dynamic Queue Management System (DQMS) in Post Offices: Dynamic Queue Management System (DQMS) has wire based calling terminal which is available at counters and operates on a stand-alone software. A dispenser with thermal printer is available at the entry gate. DQMS has been installed in 325 Head Post Offices having six or more than six working counters. This has helped the public in reducing waiting time, increase in processing capacity, providing comfort level to staff and customers and monitoring customer flow.
- Special Campaign to reduce pendency from 2nd Oct to 31st Oct 2021: Among all Ministries/Departments of Government of India, Department of Posts also participated in the special campaign from 2nd Oct to 31st Oct 2021, to reduce pendency. During the special campaign, the Department ensured significant disposal of Public Grievances, references from Members of Parliament, State Governments and Parliament Assurances. Further, all efforts were taken to improve records management, weeding out of files and overall cleanliness of Government Offices.
- Initiatives taken by the Department in the COVID-l9 situation: CPGRAMS Portal: A separate category for 'COVID-19' grievances was created on CPGRAMS to address and monitor grievances of the public with regard to their postal needs in the backdrop of the pandemic. 879 grievances have been resolved within the prescribed timeline of 3 days from 01.01.2021 to 22.11.2021.
6. Marketing & Visibility of Department of Posts:
- Department of Posts is also taking a number of steps to increase the visibility and awareness about postal products and services. In the current fiscal, the Department has undertaken several activities/ campaigns for the marketing of its products and services which include release of advertisement in Radio, TV, Hoardings, etc. The Social Media handles are being utilized for marketing of its products and services.
- Apart from this, the Department of Posts is among the first few Departments of Government of India to set up its social media accounts. This enabled the Department in engaging with its customer base directly. So far, the Department of Posts has over 308.4K followers on Facebook, 323.8K on Twitter, 9.8k on Instagram and 204.9K on KOO. Videos related to the Department of Posts and various schemes of the Department are being uploaded on YouTube. There is constant update on the activities undertaken by the Department and promotion of Departmental products is being done on daily basis.
- Department of Posts also has its own web portal (https://www.indiapost.gov.in) wherein information is regularly uploaded and updated for generating a broader awareness and visibility about the activities, products and services of the Department.
- Through social media accounts of the Department of Posts, updates to the citizens about the Government initiatives, services being provided by the Department, and activities undertaken are being done.
- Release of advertisement for promotion, publicity and advertising of Postal Life Insurance and Rural Postal Life Insurance through Radio Jingles in AIR FM and local FM channels across the country in the month of March 2021.
- Under the initiative of the Government of India, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting shared creative for promotion and publicity of "Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana" PM-GKAY Foodgrains through Post Offices. This special scheme was initially available for 2 months (May & June) which was extended to November 2021. The creative on PM-GKAY was displayed in all the Post Offices across the country.
- Under the initiative of the Government of India, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting shared Jan Andolan Campaign 2021 creatives with renewed emphasis on ‘Dawaibhi, KadaiBhi’ with focus on the five-fold strategy viz Testing, Tracing, Treatment, COVID appropriate behaviour and Vaccination which was shared to all Circles on 8th April, 2021. The same was displayed in all Post Offices and also through the Social Media Handles of the Department of Posts.
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting shared creatives on “Vaccines for all, Free for all” campaign, an initiative of the Government of India, was carried out in all Post Offices in the month of June 2021. This campaign was also carried out in the Social Media Handles of the Department of Posts.
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting shared creatives on India’s achievement of “100 Crore vaccination mark”, which was displayed in all Post Offices across India. The creatives were also displayed in the Social Media Handle of the Department of Posts.
- In the online campaign for celebrating Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav which is being coordinated by the Ministry of Culture, a major event relating to rendering of National Anthem of India (Rashtragaan) was done through the link https://rashtragaan.in/ which was shared to all Directorates/Divisions/Sections of the Department and also to the Circles. A total of 2,11,608 of the Department took part in the online campaign.
- An online quiz competition was held over the Social Media Handles of the Department of Posts in commemoration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav in the run up to Independence Day 2021. Four winners were selected from four Social Media Handles of the Department which was declared on 15th August 2021 and were presented with goody bags.
- In regard to dissemination of information about the constitutional right to legal aid and availability of free legal aid services, NALSA has entered into a collaborative project with the Department of Posts. In this collaborative project Nation-wide sensitization is done through all Post offices across India owing to their well-established network. This dissemination of information of NALSA is being provided free of cost as a social obligation of the Department of Posts.
- 11th Oct to 17th Oct 2021 was celebrated as India Post- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav ICONIC Week, during which various activities, programs, webinars were conducted and also promoted on social media in collaboration with PIB and MyGov. Briefly described as below:
- As engaging activities, a week-long activity for audience in collaboration with My Gov was organised where audience were asked to share snap/photo of their preserved letters/postcards along with brief touching story about it, at My Gov platform. Also, on Philately day, audience were requested to share their first stamp collected with the story behind it.
- Webinars on the themes of “How India Post is contributing towards financial inclusion in rural areas”, on “Postal Life Insurance-Insuring Lives & Assuring Happiness” and “India Post for MSME, Small Business, Artisans “Aatmanirbhar Bharat’s Logistics partner” were live streamed on the social media handles of the Department.
- In respect of on ground activities, various financial inclusion Melas with special focus on Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, PLI/RPLI were conducted across the country. Coverage on the Melas were done on the Social Media Handles of the Department. In respect of on ground activities, various financial inclusion Melas with special focus on Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, PLI/RPLI were conducted across the country. Coverage on the Melas were done on the Social Media Handles of the Department.
- Documentary on India@75 (Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav), as provided by Ministry of Culture were displayed in the Melas to bring awareness and special cover on India@75 in consultation with Ministry of Culture was release which was also displayed through the Social Media Handles of the Department.
- The whole week milestone on number of Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts opened, total number of life insured/covered were also shared through the Social Media Handles of the Department.
- On 14th October 'Business Development Day', a total of 1.16 lakhs Aadhaar transactions (enrollment/updation) were done in 1641 Camps/Melas across the country and the same was also shared through the Social Media Handles of the Department.
- Special Covers on Unsung Heroes of the respective State / UT in consultation with Ministry of Culture were released on Philately Day. The same was also shared on Social Media Handles of the Department.