Lok Sabha passes 3 Historic and path breaking Labour Codes
Shri Gangwar elaborates several ‘Game Changer’ labour welfare provisions in the Labour Codes
Labour Codes to envisage covering over 50 crore workers from organized,
unorganized and self employed for minimum wages, social security
Social Security net of ESIC and EPFO to Widen opening up for all workers and self-employed
up of “Social Security Fund” for 40 Crore unorganized workers alongwith
GIG and platform workers and will help in widening Universal Social
Pay parity to women workers as compared to their male counterparts
Fixed Term Employee to get same service condition, gratuity, leave and Social Security as that of Regular Employee
50 % of the penalty in case of accident to go to the workers alongwith other dues
“National Occupational Safety and Health Board” to be set up for providing international level safety environment
Working journalists definition to include Digital and Electronic Media
Plantation workers to also get ESIC benefits along with GIG and platform workers
All migrant Workers Labour now to be covered instead of only those brought by contactors earlier
base on Migrant Workers through Law to help better targeting, skill
mapping and utilization of Governments Schemes by workers
Migrant Workers to get journey allowance from Employer, to visit home town once a year
Helpline to redress grievances of Migrant Workers
The Codes to Promote Harmonious Industrial Relations for higher productivity and more employment generation
Codes will Establish transparent, answerable and simple mechanism
reducing to one registration, one license and one return for all codes
to be now made as Inspector – cum- Facilitator and introduction of
Random, Web Based Inspection System to remove Inspector Raj
Name of the Code
Number & name of amalgamated laws
4 laws –
3 laws -
13 laws -
Social Security Code
9 laws –
- 12 Labour Acts already repealed since 2014
- Provision has been made to formulate various schemes for providing comprehensive social security to workers in unorganised sector. A “Social Security Fund” will be created on the financial side in order to implement these schemes.
- Work to bring newer forms of employment created with the changing technology like “platform worker or gig worker” into the ambit of social security has been done in the Social Security Code. India is one of the few countries where this unprecedented step to bring workers in this category under social security has been taken.
- Provision for Gratuity has been made for Fixed Term Employee and there would not be any condition for minimum service period for this. For the first time, a Fixed Term Employee working for a determined period on contract has been given the right of social security like a Regular Employee.
- With the aim of making a national database for unorganised sector workers, registration of all these workers would be done on an online portal and this registration would be done on the basis of Self Certification through a simple procedure. It would facilitate the extension of benefits of various social security schemes to beneficiaries in the unorganised sector. We can say that we would be able to get ‘Targeted Delivery” of social security done to unorganised sector workers with the help of this database.
- The most important thing for getting employment is the information about job vacancies. With this aim, it has been made mandatory for all establishments with 20 or more workers to report the vacancy position in their establishments. This information would be given on online portal.
- Free health checkup once a year by the employer for workers which are more than a certain age.
- Legal right for getting Appointment Letter given to workers for the first time.
- Cine Workers have been designated as Audio Visual Worker, so that more and more workers get covered under the OSH code. Earlier, this security was being given to artists working in films only.
- Compulsory facility for Helpline for redressal of problems of migrant workers.
- Making a national database of migrant workers.
- Provision for accumulation of one day leave for every 20 days worked, when work has been done for 180 days instead of 240 days.
- Equality for women in every sphere : Women have to be permitted to work in every sector at night, but it has to be ensured that provision for their security is made by the employer and consent of women is taken before they work at night.
- In the event of death of a worker or injury to a worker due to an accident at his workplace, atleast 50 % share of the penalty would be given. This amount would be in addition to Employees Compensation.
- Provision of “Social Security Fund” for 40 Crore unorganized workers alongwith GIG and platform workers and will help Universal Social Security coverage
- Pay parity to women workers as compared to their male counterparts.
- Occupational Safety & Health Code to also can now over cover workers from IT and Service Sector.
- 14 days notice for Strike so that in this period amicable solution comes out.
- Vibrant mechanism proposed for speedier disposal by Labour Tribunals as “Justice delayed is Justice denied”.
- The Codes to Promote Harmonious Industrial Relations for higher productivity and more employment generation.
- Labour Codes to stablish transparent, answerable and simple mechanism reducing registration requirement to just one from eight; need of licence also to just one from three four under different laws earlier.
- Inspector to be now made as Inspector – cum- Facilitator and introduction of Random, Web Based Inspection System to remove to Inspector Raj.
- Penalties increase manifold; to act as deterrent.